This is the perfect time of year for west coast Halibut. Enjoy this fish simply battered and fried for some delicious fish tacos. Recipe by our Fish Monger - Jake Sponseller.
Beer-Battered Halibut Fish Taco Recipe
Serving size - 2
- 8 oz. Halibut Fillet (request it skinned from the Butcher)
- (1) 12 oz. beer (we also stock gluten-free beerl)
- 1.5 C All Purpose Flour or a Cup for Cup Gluten Free Flour
- 1-2 TBSP salt - split this between 2 steps
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Flour or Corn Tortillas
- Cilantro and Thinly sliced radish for garnish
- Cut the halibut into 2" long pieces with a width of .5"
- Use the first 1/2-1 TBSP of salt to season the halibut pieces.
- Fill a deep pan with 1" of the oil and bring to 375 degrees, if you don't have a thermometer throw in a scrap piece of battered fish to test the temperature.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, beer and lemon zest.
- Dip the fish pieces into the batter and slowly add to the hot oil making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry for 4-6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take fish out once cooked and let drip onto a paper towel, season again with the last bit of salt.
- Fill tortillas with fish and any of our recommended toppings! Crack open a beer and enjoy!
Quick Pickled Red Onion Recipe:
- 1 Red Onion
- 3/4 C Keepwell Wildflower Honey Vinegar or apple cider vin.
- Slice one red onion and add ¾ c of Keepwell Wildflower Honey Vinegar, let sit for at least 30 min.
Red Cabbage Slaw Recipe:
- 1 Head of Red Cabbage
- 2C Mayo (we prefer the primal avocado mayo)
- 1/2 C Keepwell Wildflower Honey Vinegar (can sub apple cider vin)
- 1 whole lime zested and juiced
- Salt to taste
- Thinly slice cabbage. Mix with all ingredients and let marinate for 30 minutes before serving.
Chipotle Mayo Recipe
- 1/2 C Mayo
- 2 oz canned chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- Mix all together!