Jake Sponseller, our very own OB fishmonger, is back with a delicious new recipe for Confit Baby Octopus. These octopus have a delicate, slightly-sweet, briny flavor and firm texture. Arriving freshly from the waters of Spain, they can be deliciously cooked in a variety of ways: grilled, roasted, broiled, pan seared, fried, steamed, poached, braised, or as this recipe suggests, confit'd!
- Baby octopus, cleaned
- Garlic- 3 gloves, crushed
- Thyme, 5 sprigs
- Crushed red pepper, 2 tsp
- Olive oil- as needed
- Salt- 1 tbs.
- Pepper- ½ tbs.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large pot heat 4 cups (or enough to cover the octopus) of olive oil on low heat, for 10 mins. Remove from heat.
- Add thyme, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper to pot along with the cleaned octopus.
- Confit in the oven for 2 hours.
- Take octopus out of oven, it is done when there is no resistance when cutting through with a knife.
- Heat a sauté pan over med- high heat, add 2 tbs. of olive oil. At this point you can cut the tentacles off for an easier sear or keep whole depending on your preference. Sear to get a crust on the octopus.
- Serve with our house-made Chimichurri along with any starch or vegetable you please.