Dubbed "nature's most potent superfood," beef livers are nutrient-rich and extremely beneficial. When sourced from healthy, grass-fed cows, liver is loaded with a wide spectrum of vitamins, minerals, proteins and fat. It is particularly rich in the key nutrients that help keep our brains healthy. These include essential fatty acids as well as vitamin B12.
Gram for gram, liver contains more nutrients than any other food. In fact, liver provides:
• An excellent source of high-quality protein
• Nature’s most concentrated source of vitamin A
• All the B vitamins, particularly vitamin B12
• One of the best sources of folate
• A highly usable form of iron
• Trace elements such as copper, zinc and chromium
• CoQ10, a nutrient that is especially important for cardio-vascular function
• A good source of purines, nitrogen-containing compounds that serve as precursors for DNA and RNA.
Most of us know it is amazingly good for us but our brains and our taste buds are usually at odds with one another when it comes to liver. For the uninitiated, the taste of liver can be off-putting. This is why we were really excited when we found the following recipe. It combines liver and ground beef so the flavor is more subtle. You'll still get all of the wonderful nutritional benefits but in a much more palatable way. Enjoy!
Beef Liver & Onion Meatballs (Primal Palate)Serves 4
1 lb Ground Beef1/4 lb Beef Liver, finely chopped1/2 cup Onion, diced2 tsp Smoked Paprika1 tsp Garlic Powder1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon1 tsp Black Pepper1/2 tsp Salt
Preheat the oven to 350.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine ground beef and beef liver.
Season with smoked paprika, garlic powder, cinnamon, black pepper, and salt. Continue to mix with hands until meat is equally seasoned.
Mix in the diced onion.
Form meat mixture into balls, slightly larger than an ounce.
Place in a baking dish and bake meat balls for 25 minutes.
Photo credit: Primal Palate