The grilling season is finally upon us! Here are The Organic Butcher's top 5 tips and tricks to perfect your outdoor cooking.
- Don’t be afraid to try something new – There are so many beef cuts that perfect for the grill and sometimes they aren’t well known. Start by letting the butcher know the type of recipe you’re cooking so we can match you with the perfect cut. You might end up with a new go-to steak!
- Marinade - A good marinade can turn any cut into something to be admired on the grill. Check out this simple and delicious Carne Asada Marinade recipe (it takes 2 minutes to put together and you probably already have all the ingredients!). Pro-tip – we prefer Bavette steak over Flank steak for this recipe.
- Dry your steaks - If you’re cooking non-marinated steaks on the grill and want to achieve a great sear, dry them very thoroughly on paper towels. Or better yet, salt them and let them rest uncovered on a rack in the fridge for a night, so that their surface moisture can evaporate.
- Pre-heat your pan or grill before searing - Patience is key! Let the grill or cast-iron skillet get “searing” hot (pun intended) before putting the meat on.
- Let steaks sear completely without flipping - When the steak releases naturally from the grill or skillet’s surface, you’ve achieved a perfect sealed-in sear.